There are always little things that brighten my day. I’ve decided that not only do I want to share the little things that I’m loving lately but I also don’t want to forget them. So hopefully each month I can share a bit of what I’ve discovered and absolutely love!
Also, I know that it’s April 4th, haha. I’m on mom-time where I’m late to do everything and blame it on my busy life 😉
- Bad Feminist: This is a collection of essays written so eloquently by Roxane Gay. Though the title solely addresses feminism, the book covers a wide variety of topics from race relations to modern feminism to Scrabble, haha. The book is great and made me think a lot about my life and my impact that I’ll have on my children and this world.
- Big Little Lies (HBO): if you have HBO (or any type of access to HBO shows), you NEED to watch this show! I decided to watch it randomly because I think I love Shailene Woodley. After episode 1, I realized that this show was so great! It takes place is some really bougie part of California with a bunch of beautiful and rich moms/housewives. (That sentence doesn’t make it sound that appealing but just wait!). They showcase the relationship of the women in the town through their personal experiences as well as interviews with the townspeople. The interviews are conducted by a detective… which reveals that there has been a murder and we’re all trying to figure out what the heck is going on! There’s a lot of drama, incredible acting, and beautiful scenery. It’s so good, y’all. Check out the trailer here!
- Get Out (in theatres): When I first saw previews of this movie, I thought that it was going to be absolutely terrifying. I still knew that I wanted to see the movie (even though I don’t care for thrillers…) I also don’t like going to the movie theatre. With that being said, I saw this movie in the theatre in the first month of its release… it’s that good. The movie is obviously focuses on race but there’s so much deeper meaning to it all. After the film’s debut, there were reports of white people protesting the movie because of it’s “racist” themes. Though the film focuses a lot on race, there truly isn’t anything racist about it… on either side. Once you watch the movie, listen to the words that each character actually says and examine their actions alongside the words, you’ll realize the movie is saying a lot more than we all actually think! I would post the trailer but it gives away WAY too much, haha. Go in blind. 😉
- Moana: Something a little lighter, haha. This movie is the cutest, most inspiring film. My daughter absolutely loves it! I love it. My husband even likes it! (He’s more of an old school Disney kind of guy!). The movie takes place on an island in the Pacific, I believe, The main character is a girl who desires to leave because she believes that there is more to life than what she has always known. This message speaks to me so much. The songs are also awesome and most are written by Lin-Manuel Miranda (Hamilton)! Check out the trailer here!
- Sooo Many White Guys (Podcast): Despite the title, this isn’t a racist podcast either, haha. I promise I love all people, you guys. This podcast is by Phoebe Robinson of Two Dope Queens and it focuses on showcasing actors/actresses, comedians/comediennes, and other talented entertainers of color, as well as of the LGBTQI community. They do have like one or two token white guests but for the most part it is the experiences and voices of people in color and their take on the showbiz world. Ilana Glazer of Broad City is one of the producers. I love this podcast because I like getting to know a lot more about these people. Their feelings and thoughts on what’s going on in the world has definitely encouraged me to think more and more about my own feelings.
Food is so important to me right now (#pregnantforever) so I couldn’t help but include these two products in the Loving Lately section… If you follow me on Instagram, then you’ll know that I eat them almost every day at naptime, haha. They’re so good and I’m not getting paid a dime to say it. I just want to share it to the world!
- Boom Chicka Pop White Cheddar Popcorn: I’ve only tried white cheddar and it’s the only one that I probably will try. I hate that I spend this much money on popcorn but it’s so worth it. I literally buy a bag a week.
- Yasso Frozen Greek Yogurt Pops: I’ve only had the CC Cookie Dough and Cookies and Cream flavors but I highly recommend both and that you try ALL the flavors!
If you have a chance to check out any of these things, let me know! I ‘d love to talk about them with someone else!